When people hear the word fat, they tend to assume that it's a bad thing - but in reality, fat is an essential nutrient that needs to be incorporated into our daily, healthy diet. If you want a healthy complexion, beautiful hair, warmth in the colder weather and vital protection for your internal organs, then you need to make fat your friend! Fat also is also an essential ingredient for a good hormone metabolism and the repair of body tissue.
That said, not all fats are created equal, and as is often the case with nutrients, the trick is getting the right balance to make sure that your body is getting the right kinds of fat, and in appropriate amounts via the food you eat as part of your healthy diet.
Many people don't realise just how essential fat is as part of a balanced healthy diet. Without enough of the right fats during childhood, our brains can't develop normally. As we grow into adults, fat continues to play a vital role in providing energy and promoting healthy growth.
Fats are made up of fatty acids, of which there are three main types; saturated, polyunsaturated, and monounsaturated...
If you've already read our article about fats, then you'll already have learned that despite their bad reputation, fats are an essential component of a healthy diet. However, it's important to distinguish between good and bad fats, in order to ensure that you're getting the right kind of fats that the body needs.
Unless you've been living in a cave for the past 10 years, you can't have failed to notice the amount of references in the media to cholesterol, and how we should all be working to lower the levels of cholesterol in our blood. While it's certainly dangerous to our health to have high cholesterol levels, it's important to understand that cholesterol is also an essential part of a healthy diet. Approximately 20% of the cholesterol in our bodies comes from the food that we eat, with the other 80% being produced in the body by the liver.